Wednesday 5 November 2014

REMOVABLE SEWING CHAIR COVER TUTORIAL


(A SEWING CHAIR MAKEOVER)    

This is my sewing chair wearing the cover I made.  This was my first attempt at making a removable chair cover.  I am so pleased with the result considering I have never made a chair cover before.   I love the fabric I think it suits the chair.  The fabric is called Kiana by Harliquin fabrics.   I have had the fabric in my stash for a long while I knew it would come in handy one day.  My sister bought it at an auction for me.  She seen it and thought of me.  I think she knows I am a fabricaholic.  

  HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THE SEWING CHAIR COVER.









1/  Measure the chair back, from top front to  seating area, (lenght).  Measure back of the  chair from top to bottom . 

2/  Measure the width across the front and measure the width across the back.  However,you will need to take into consideration whether the back will  wrap around to meet  the front fabric like mine did. Measure the seating area to include overhang  of fabric. Measure width across and lenght  front to back.  Note:  The back measurements may be wider then the front.  In my case it was about 4" wider as the fabric wrapped around to the front.  But obviously this will depend on our chair measurements.  The main thing is to get the measurements    right for your chair.
  



3/   Choose your fabric.  You will also need tissue paper or pattern paper, scissors, pencil, and ruler.  I used inches but it is personal to you whether you use imperial or metic measurements.





4/  Transfer your measurements onto the pattern/tissue paper.  Cut the pattern out.

5/  Pin the pattern onto the fabric and cut the pieces out.  You should have the following pattern pieces:  Front/Back/Seat.  Three pattern pieces.


6/   Tack the back and front fabric pieces together and try on the upper part of the chair.  If alterations need to  be made, then this is the time to do it before the  pieces are sewn together permanently.   








 7/  Turn inside out and try the fully finished  back onto  the chair.   Then put the seating fabric piece onto the seating area of the chair. 

8/ Find the centre of the seating area fabric piece and match up to the centre of the back of chair, then machine stitch both pieces together.  Now the seat and back are attached.

9/   Pin the corners at the front of the seating area as shown on the pictures.  Machine  sew these corners and snip off excess fabric.
 Also machine sew the fabrics together where  the seat  fabric meets the back fabric in the area around back legs of the chair.  



10/   Measure around the full circle of the chair   around the bottom where the fabric ends.   Then cut a strip  of fabric to make a skirt  for the bottom to go all around the chair.    How far you want the skirt to hang is your  personal choice.   Remove the cover and  attach the skirt all around the bottom of the cover.   The cover is complete.  All you need  to do now is  press it and put your creation  on your chair  and pat  yourself on the back for a job well done.   



Why not have a go at making a removable chair cover. You will not only save yourself money but you will also have a pattern to make more if ever you fancy a change.   I hope my tutorial has given you inspiration to have a go yourself.   


Bye for now........Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment